For the upper I decided to use existing fabrics, this way I could use a material people know and trust. I narrowed down to 4 material; Linen, Hemp, wool and organic cotton.
I chose Wool and decided on Merino wool as it is easily accessible in NZ, it is odour resistant, breathable and biodegradable.
Next I began working on my final shoe pattern, to do so I made a series of patterns and use them on my own feet to pin and adjust the measurements.
This also gave me the chance to explore and practice with the stitchings around the laces and also the toe cap.
I learned what kind of stitchings joins will need to be used so that each fabric edge has a clean join and so rough edges are shown.