Semester 2 – Week 12 Monday

After filming and editing I compiled my footage into my final user video.


Final Display Model

Moving onto my final display shoe I resin printed the sole to get a nicer finish to resemble the high standard that can be reached with 3D printing. I kept aside the nicest upper I had so that the shoe will be the nicest of my models.


I spray painted the sole black before taping and filling with bio foam.


For the inner sole I used a piece of merino fabric joined to a layer of more rubbery bioplastic, with a touch of branding.

Then again using linen twine stitched on the final upper.

Final Shoe Model


Composted bio-foam

After just 2 weeks in compost this was the result


The cuts were a result of the wire I used to make sure I knew where the foam was. Each different density soaked up water so the different types were unrecognisable. There was a thin layer of mold breaking down the foam but had a while to go, this was a promising sign that it does take some work to degrade so they wont fall apart on your feet.

Published by rikolthuis

I am an art design student currently at massey university interested in all spects of art, my main areas consist of product design, painting and drawing and like to use these as a way of conveying thought and creativity in design. My family is originally from Holland but have recently moved to New Zealand. I hope to one day be involved in the designing of sport gear overseas, a job that will combine my passion for both art and sport.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with
Get started
%d bloggers like this: